Thursday, February 17, 2011

Self -imposed rules for the blog

The initial response to the idea of my starting a blog was pretty positive...except for the people my age who said, "What to heck is a blog?"  Once I explained it, not easy since I still have almost no idea, even my fellow sixty-somethings liked the idea.

I am still working out my self-imposed rules for this blog but here is what I have so far:

1.      I am going to stick to my 2009 New Year’s resolution to not get into political arguments.

2.      I am going to comment on, criticize, mock, rant and rave about the state of politics now compared to the 60s.  See, that's the whole idea of this blog.  Compare everything and anything to the 60s…at least the 60s from my perspective.

3.      I am going to use whatever style fits my mood on the day I am writing.

For example…

One of the big stories right now is the tone of American political discourse. Over the past few election seasons, you know that time period that lasts from one election-day to the next election day, the issues and the debate have been controlled by a few powerful people and organizations.  Did anyone notice that in the middle of two protracted wars, costing thousands of lives and trillions of dollars, an election could be determined by people’s irrational fear of gay marriage?

OK…that sounded a bit political, but my point is that the great thing about a blog as a medium for information is that the person producing it, in this case me, gets to decide on the agenda, the topic and tone.

I am writing this after a long day and I have an early start tomorrow so I will stop.

Next time I guess I need to get into some content.

No comments:

Post a Comment